Explore Work Permits and Visas Using GoinGlobal’s Country Guides

Work Permit & Visas Jan 30, 2024 No Comments
Image by Mohamed Hassan from Pixabay

Dreaming of living or working abroad? What are the legal issues and paperwork involved? Where are reliable and current sources of information? 

GoinGlobal’s proprietary resources, available through subscribing institutions, include dedicated Work Permits and Visas sections in Country Guides for 42 locations. Explore valuable, timely information about work permits and visas needed for traveling, living, working and studying in different countries as well as the steps necessary to be successful; including, up-to-date local sources, embassies and government websites for further assistance.

Here are a few examples.

China Work Permits and Visas:

Visa requirements depend on your nationality, how long you’re staying and why. Citizens of some countries are exempt from needing a visa for temporary stays ─ see Visa Exemptions. If you do need a visa, make sure you get the right one for your purposes. 

Begin the application process as early as possible. Generally, you need to apply for a visa in person at the embassy or consulate representing China in your country of residence and/or citizenship. Also check this page from the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Chinese, English) for the full list of visas and the required documentation.

In some countries, the local consulate or embassy has outsourced visa application processing to a Chinese Visa Application Service Center (CVASC). In these countries, you must submit your application and pay the fees to the CVASC instead of the embassy or consulate. The website of your local embassy or consulate will make it clear if you need to go through a CVASC. 

Bring the entire application package ─ all required documents and the processing fee ─ to the embassy or consulate. You might have to schedule an appointment in advance. Always check with your local embassy or consulate to confirm requirements. 

Source on GoinGlobal (for link to work active access to GoinGlobal is required).

United Kingdom Work Permits and Visas:

The UK’s Points-Based Immigration System is based on the awarding of points for specific professions, skills, qualifications and salaries. Those immigrants with enough qualifying points will be awarded visas. EU and non-EU citizens are treated equally under this system.

You’ll need to apply for your visa prior to your arrival in the UK. See Application Process  to learn more information. Confirm requirements with the embassy or consulate before your departure.

Settlement Status may allow you to immigrate to the UK legally if you are a citizen of the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland or the Ukraine. See Settled Status overview here

Source on GoinGlobal (for link to work active access to GoinGlobal is required).

USA Work Permits and Visas:

It’s important to get the appropriate visa. 

Visas are divided into two main categories: immigrant (permanent residence) and non-immigrant (temporary residence) visas. 

There are many types of non-immigrant visas available for travel, work or study. These include: 

  • Visitor visa: Also known as B Visas, these temporary visas are for stays of up to six months in the US for business (visa category B-1) or tourism (visa category B-2) or a combination of both purposes (visa category B-1/B-2).
  • Student visa: Known as F/M Visas, these are required if you’re planning to attend school in the US for any period of time and at any level. There are two types of student visas: the F-1 Visa for academic studies and the M-1 Visa for technical or vocational studies. (See Students to learn more.)
  • Exchange visitor visa:  J Visas are for foreign nationals participating in programs that involve teaching, conducting research, consulting, training, and other activities that promote education, science, and the arts. 
  • Temporary worker visa: Foreign nationals who wish to work in the US need a work visa. There are several types of temporary work visas depending on the type of employment ─ see this page from the US Department of State for the full list. (See Work/Employment for more information.) 
  • Employment-based immigration visas: If you want to live and work in the US indefinitely, you’ll need an immigration visa. There are five different categories of employment-based immigration visas. (See Work/Employment for more information.)

The US Department of State website has extensive and authoritative information about the different types of available visas. Check out its Visa Wizard to find out which visa is right for you.

Source on GoinGlobal (for link to work active access to GoinGlobal is required).

Look for more information on work permits and visas in GoinGlobal’s Country Guides.

Access to GoinGlobal’s resource database is provided through subscribing institutions. Contact your college/university’s career center or library for access instructions.

Mary Anne Thompson

Mary Anne Thompson founded GoinGlobal, Inc. more than two decades ago as a result of her own experiences job hunting in Sweden. She believes that to uncover the real job opportunities, you need the experience and personal insights of trained local specialists. Mary Anne continues to be an active CEO who shares her strategies and insights directly with clients to help them strategically maximize GoinGlobal’s unique resources.